Template for Program Course Requirement
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Table of Contents
Note: For a use case, see here: Pre-requisites (and other requirements) for Courses.
The Course Requirement object (introduced in v3.6) is located under the Course object.
It outlines the requirements (pre-requisites, co-requisites, etc.) for said Course.
For example, this Course for 'BUS104' has a requirement.
Whereby the Course 'MGT310' is a pre-requisite that needs to be either enrolled or completed, in order for a Course to be available for students to enroll.
The Program Course Requirement will inherit the values from the Course Requirement.
- This will only happen the first time the Plan Requirement (Course) is created.
- Subsequent edits to the Course Requirement will not be reflected in the Program Course Requirement.
The Requirement Types are as follows:
- This requires a first level Course to be completed before the student can enroll into the second level.
- For example: To enroll into ICT21, it requires the Student to have Course Connection's “Enrollment Status” = completed and “Grade Result” = Pass in BUS108. (BUS108 is the first level and ICT211 is the second level).
If both requirements are met, the Course Connection Requirement’s “Requirement Met” checkbox will be checked.
- So every time when the student logs into the Community, the code will check if the ‘Requirement Met’ checkbox in Course Connection is checked before it can show available for enrollment.
- When the first level result is released, the completion engine will update Course Connection.
- For a use case example on setting prerequisite Courses, head here.
Pre-Requisite (Enrolled or Completed)
- Similar to Pre-Requisite, just that the requirement is different.
- For example, IBS220 requires the student to have (Course Connection’s “Enrollment Status” = Completed/Enrolled) in BUS101. It does not need a Pass grade result.
- This allows students to start the enrollment for a new Term before the Courses grade for the current Term is released, so that you don't have to set the "Allow Pre-Enrollment" at Course Connection to allow the enrollment manually.
- Used for linking two or more Courses as co-requisites.
- For example, if Course A is to be taken, Course B must also be taken.
- As of v3.8.3, the Co-Requisite requirements are now always set as met.
- An additional info message will also be shown on the enrollment confirmation in the Student Enrollment Wizard, to inform students about the required Co-Requisite Courses.
- The Credit Point is more straightforward.
- For example, COR109 requires the Student to have 14 Credit Points on the Program Enrollment’s Credits Earned. So the trigger fires when the Course Connection Requirement record is saved to update the “Requirement Met” checkbox.
- This will be for other miscellaneous requirements.
- Unlike the other Requirement Types, the system will not be able to verify whether this 'Other' requirement has been met.
The admin will have to manually verify it and check the 'Requirement Met' checkbox themselves.
Setup Program Course Requirement
The Course Requirement helps to speed up the Program Course Requirement setup.
Course Requirement serves as a template. If the Course is used in a Program Plan Requirement, it would create the Program Course Requirement record against that Plan Requirement, using new Course requirement information.
First, select a Course and create its Course Requirements.
Next, select a Program Plan and create a Plan Requirement (Course) and link it to the Course above.
Upon the creation of the Plan Requirement, all the linked Course's Course Requirements will be cloned over as Program Course Requirements.
|Course Requirement Name||Enter a name for the Course Requirement being created.|
Select the type of requirement from the following:
A unique ID to identify each specific Course Requirement (e.g. 'A', 'B', etc.).
The Requirement Logic field in the Course Connection will use the Requirement ID of its Course Requirements (e.g. 'A' OR 'B').
|Parent Course||The Course under which this Requirement is created.|
The target Course that has to be completed as part of the requirement (e.g. Course 'MGT310' is the pre-requisite for this Course).
The required amount of credit points for this requirement (if the Requirement Type is 'Credit Points').
Optional text field for adding description, notes, etc. (if the Requirement Type is 'Other').