Will upgrading metadata overwrite custom settings and metadata?
When upgrading your RIO Education version and deploying metadata, you might encounter the following message:
"WARNING: If you are installing into an existing Salesforce org - STOP and contact us for assistance to avoid overwriting any existing metadata. It is important to compare the metadata before applying because it would overwrite any existing configuration."
Does upgrading RIO Education version and deploying metadata:
- Change the page layout?
- Override the custom settings that were made previously?
- Affect the custom metadata that was set up previously?
- If you are using your own page layouts and Lightning pages, those would not be altered.
- Upgrading core RIO Education package would not override the custom settings you have made in RIO Education Settings. It may set some default value for the new setting fields though.
- It depends on the metadata in the upgrade. At the moment, most of them are picklist option and layout related changes.
- New picklist option: It is recommend to apply the metadata as it consists of new options that could be used by some of the new features.
- Layout change: Optional. Not required if you have modified the RIO Education OOTB layout or use custom layout.
If you choose to apply the upgraded metadata, it will overwrite the settings that you have for the target metadata only. It would not touch the others.
For example, you have added a new custom field to RIO Ed account layout (RIOEducation Account Layout) in the instance. When using the upgrade installer, if you choose to apply the account layout (RIOEducation Account Layout) that we have in the upgrade folder, it will only overwrite the existing account layout in the instance.
To know more about upgrading metadata, head here.
Note: It is important for anyone that performs the upgrade to review the upgraded metadata before performing any action, as we do not support rollback. Please also take note that you should upgrade and test in a sandbox first before upgrading the production org.