Fields mapping and RIO Connect component
You can view the detailed field mapping used by the RIO Connect: D2L for RIO Education here.
(Note: Kindly send us a request if you wish to access our Google documents. For more on our security policy, see here).
To learn more about the integrations schedule and trigger points, including how to customize, check out RIO Connect Triggers & Schedule configuration.
The following are the prerequisites to enable RIO Connect to connect with D2L:
- Ensure that the RIO Education is installed successfully in the Salesforce Org. Please contact the RIO Education or consultant team if you require more information/assistance on RIO Education.
- Ensure that the D2L instance API is enabled with the D2L API functionality.
- Have the D2L API Client Id and Client Secret upfront by creating an OAuth 2.0 Appas well as the D2L’s domain URL. Note that the D2L Integration user login must be a super Admin, where possiblefor you to be able to generate the developer key.
- Define the App's scope with the following at the minimal:
- content:*:* core:*:* datahub:*:* enrollment:*:* extended-user-profile:values:manage grades:*:* organizations:*:* orgunits:*:* quizzing:*:* users:*:*
- Please take note of the scope setup as this is required by RIO Connect when connecting with the application
Callback/Redirect URLs to be included:
- Prompt For User Consent? = FALSE
- Enable refresh tokens = TRUE
- Please take note of the client Id and client secret generated too as it would be used for connecting to the correct D2L instance when ready.
- Nominate a Salesforce user (ideally with the System Administrator profile) with a RIO Education license (in order to access RIO Education’s component).
- Configure an OAuth enabled Salesforce Connected App (i.e. name it ‘RIO Connect’) with the following attributes:
- Callback URLs:
- OAuth Scopes:
- Full access (full).
- Perform requests on your behalf at any time (refresh_token, offline_access).
- Others can remain as default.
- Take note of the client Id and client secret generated via #6.
Things you can do before further enabling RIO Connect
Here are the installation/configuration steps that you can perform before further enabling RIO Connect:
- Deploy the additional Salesforce components (this is available for download via the Salesforce Workbench Metadata package available here) required by RIO Connect. You can refer to the steps as outlined in the “To perform a Deploy operation” section here.
- It is recommended to work with a Salesforce expert or RIO Education consultant if you are not sure of this step.
- Note that if you performed this in a Salesforce production instance for security purposes, it is recommended to revoke the Workbench connection established post successful deployment.
- Assign the “RIO Connect D2L Permission Set” permission set to the Salesforce user that will be used to establish the RIO Connect connection. (This is in reference to #5 in the prerequisites section).
- To expose the additional fields/components for other Salesforce user too, repeat step #2 for the specific user/profile. Or a custom permission set can be managed separately if different permissions is required.
- Note that the additional fields are not included in any page layout by default.
- You can add the additional fields into the layout based on your liking. Here are some suggestions on how they can look like by creating a separate section called “RIO ConnectD2L Information”.
- Contact page.
- Course Offering page.
Course Connection page.
- Term Grade page.
Defining the RC D2L Custom settings
Upon successfully deployment of the additional components via the metadata package, a custom setting component called “RC D2L Custom Settings” is introduced.
Setup the custom settings component to enable RIO Connect to retrieve some of the default information required during the integration run. Failing to do so will result in the integration not being able to run correctly.
Following are some key information with regards to the custom setting fields and the mandatory item to fill:
Default Course Template Id - This is mandatory. Please provide a valid Course Template Id which RIO Connect should reference to when sync RIO Course Offering to D2L Course. When a D2L Course is created through RIO Connect, the Course will be assigned with this defined Course template id. From there on a D2L admin or faculty member can make further changes to the Course based on their preference.
RC D2L Final Grade Sync Type - This defines the type of Final Grade the school which to bring in from D2L into RIO's Course Connection. If this is left empty, Letters type will be synced through. Supported value being, LETTERS, POINTS or BOTH. Please ensure that the value are spelled with the exact case.
Default Learner Usage Data SetId - This is required only when an extension to sync the Advanced Leaner Usage Dataset is required. Note that this is not part of the standard RIO Connect D2L flow and would require additional effort to enable this integration. Please talk to a RIO Education consultant/representative in case this is needed.
ExternalId - Just an external Id field in case if this is managed via an external tool. This is not used by RIO Connect in general.
When all is set, reach out to the RIO Education account manager or the support team to request for further enablement of RIO Connect for your account. We will provide you with a secure form to supply the credentials and any other information captured during the prerequisites stage.