[Advanced] C07.5 - Withdrawing from paid Course
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Table of Contents
RIO Challenge C07.5 - Withdrawing from paid Course
It is common for university students to enroll to a Course, but later decide to withdraw, after deciding that the Course was not a good fit and they should choose a different Course instead.
If the student has already paid for the Course, but withdraws from it after the Census Date (where fees are finalized), most universities will not refund the student.
But if there are valid reasons to the student's request, the university can proceed to carry out the refund process.
Before trying out this challenge, it is recommended to complete these first:
- Understand the process of withdrawing from a Course after payment has been made.
- Understand how the refunding process works.
What does success look like?
- The student will be able to withdraw from a Course that he has paid for, and be refunded.
Estimated time to complete
Steps to complete the challenge
John Doe the student is currently enrolled to a Course, and has already paid the Student Fees.
However, some time later, he has a serious illness. He cannot continue with the Course and has to withdraw from it.
Follow the steps below to find out how John can withdraw from a Course that has already been paid, and how the admin can intervene to manage the refund process.
- Click on the 'RIO Challenge V2' tab at the bottom left of the page. Click on 'Initiate Challenge' to generate the data required for this challenge.
- Navigate to the 'Terms' tab and select the list view 'Challenge 7.5 - Course Withdrawal'.
Enter into the record for 'C07.5 - Future Term 1', then, navigate to the ‘Details’ tab and update the following information:
Enrollment Open Date/Time 1 month before today’s date. Enrollment Close Date/Time 1 day before today’s date. Census Date Same as the Enrollment Close Date.
- The admin will help to withdraw John from the Course.
Navigate to the 'Program Enrollments' tab and select the list 'Challenge 7.5 - Course Withdrawal'.
Enter into the Program Enrollment record created for 'C07.5 - John Doe'.
Head to the 'Pathways' tab and select the Term 'C07.5 - Future Term 1'.
Then, unenroll from the Course 'C07.5 - Business Analytics'.
Notice that the status will turn to 'Withdrawal Requested', instead of 'Withdrawn'. The admin will need to review the payment that John has made for this Course.
- From the same Program Enrollment record, navigate to the 'Student Fees' tab.
Notice that the Student Fee record shows that it has been 'Paid in Full'.
By entering the Student Fee record and checking the 'Payments' tab, it can be seen that John has indeed already paid for this Course.
- Due to John's condition and extenuating circumstances, the university will allow a refund for the withdrawn Course, even though the Census Date (where fees are finalized) has already passed.
From the same Student Fee record, navigate to the 'Details' tab.
Drop down the list of actions on the top-right side of the page, and click on 'Generate Refund'.
Total Amount $2,500 Percentage 100%
- Navigate to the 'Fee Lines' tab, and notice that a Fee Line for the refund has been automatically generated. This Fee Line has the same amount as the tuition fee, but negative.
From a recordkeeping standpoint, this serves to 'cancel out' the Fee Line that John had to pay for his tuition.
As for the actual refund, the Finance Department will carry out their process to reimburse John separately.
- In the meantime, the admin can manually unenroll John from the Course (which is still in the 'Withdrawal Requested' status).
From the same Program Enrollment record for John, navigate to the 'Course Connections' tab. Click 'View All' to show a list of all the Course Connections.
Then, enter into the Course Connection for 'C07.5 - RIOUNI02 - BUS101' and update the Enrollment Status to 'Withdrawn'.
Once the Enrollment Status is updated, John Doe's withdrawal from this Course will be completed.
- Let's assume that 48 hours later, the Finance Department has reimbursed John. The admin will create a record for audit / recordkeeping purposes.
Navigate to the 'Student Fees' tab on John's Program Enrollment, and enter into the Student Fee record.
Then, under the 'Payments' tab, create a new Payment to 'cancel out' (from a recordkeeping standpoint) the payment Fred has previously made. The amount will be the same, but in negative.
Payment Amount - $2,500 Transaction Type Refund
John's Course withdrawal process is now completed. He has been refunded, and the related records have been created for audit purposes.
Summary / note:
In this challenge, the scenario is the withdrawal of a paid Course after the census date has passed.
Take note that there will be no difference if there is a withdrawal of a paid Course before the census date.
- Withdrawing from the Course before Census Date will also set the status to 'Withdrawal Requested' instead of 'Withdrawn', because payment has already been made.
- The process to generate refund is the same.
- Congratulations, you have completed the challenge! Click on the 'RIO Challenge V2' tab at the bottom left of the page, and click on 'Complete Challenge'.