[Advanced] C07.4 - Course Withdrawal (after Census Date)
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Table of Contents
RIO Challenge C07.4 - Course Withdrawal (after Census Date)
It is common for University students to enroll to a Course, but later decide to withdraw, after deciding that the Course was not a good fit and they should choose a different Course instead.
Sometimes, a student might have withdrawn from a Course after the Census Date (the last date for Course withdrawal). By that point, the fees for that Course have already been billed.
In this instance, the admin will need to review the fees that have been billed, before the withdrawal request can be approved.
Before trying out this challenge, it is recommended to complete these first:
- Understand the Course withdrawal process after the Census Date.
What does success look like?
- The student is able to request for a Course withdrawal, which the admin will then complete.
- The student's fees will be voided, since a payment has not been made yet for the withdrawn Course.
Estimated time to complete
Steps to complete the challenge
RIO University charges their students based on the enrolled Course on a Term basis. Therefore, before the student bill is generated, there is a cut-off date for all Course enrollment activity, so that the finance team can finalize the student’s bill.
The Census Date is the last date for students to withdraw from Courses, before the fees are finalized for enrolled Courses.
However, a student has withdrawn from a Course after the Census Date.
Follow the steps below to observe how the system admin can help to complete this process on the student's behalf and resolve the fee/billing for the withdrawn Course.
- Click on the 'RIO Challenge V2' tab at the bottom left of the page. Click on 'Initiate Challenge' to generate the data required for this challenge.
- Navigate to the 'Terms' tab and select the list view 'Challenge 7.4 - Course Withdrawal'.
Enter into the record for 'C07.4 - Future Term 1', then, navigate to the ‘Details’ tab and update the following information:
Enrollment Open Date/Time 1 month before today’s date. Enrollment Close Date/Time 1 day before today’s date. Census Date Same as the Enrollment Close Date.
Fred Smith the student wants to withdraw from a Course, without being aware that the Census Date has already passed.
Follow the steps below to find out how this will affect the withdrawal process.
- Navigate to the 'Program Enrollment tab and select the list view ‘Challenge 7.4 - Course Withdrawal’.
Enter into the Program Enrollment record for 'C07.4 - Fred Smith'.
Navigate to the 'Pathways' tab and select the tile for ‘C07.4 - Future Term 1’.
Then, unenroll from the Course 'C07.4 - Business Analytics'.
Notice that Fred Smith will be unable to directly withdraw.
Instead, the status will turn to 'Withdrawal Requested'.
This is because the Census Date, which is when the fees will be finalized, has already passed. Any withdrawal beyond the Census Date will require the admin to review it.
- Let’s act as an admin to review and process the withdrawal request for Fred. The first thing the admin is interested to know is whether Fred Smith has made any payment.
From the same Program Enrollment record, navigate to the 'Student Fees' tab.
Enter into the Student Fee record, and navigate to the 'Payments' tab.
Fred Smith has not made any payment yet.
Therefore, the admin can void the Fee Line.
- Navigate to the 'Fee Lines' tab, then, enter into the Fee Line record and check the 'Void' checkbox.
After checking 'Void', it will update the Student Fee status to ‘No Payment Required’.
**The voided Fee Line will still be kept, for record keeping and auditing purposes.
- With the fee-related items sorted out, the admin can proceed to unenroll Fred from the Course (which is still in the 'Withdrawal Requested' status).
From the same Program Enrollment record for Fred Smith, navigate to the 'Course Connections' tab.
Enter into the Course Connection for 'C07.4 - RIOUNI02 - BUS101' and manually update the enrollment status to ‘Withdrawn’.
Fred Smith’s withdrawal from this Course is now completed.
Students cannot directly withdraw from a Course after Census Date. It will be a withdrawal request, whereby the admin will have to review the request and the fees.
- Congratulations, you have completed the challenge! Click on the 'RIO Challenge V2' tab at the bottom left of the page, and click on 'Complete Challenge'.