Contact Record Management with Different Personas
Maintaining Staff and Student as the same and/or separate Contacts
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
It is common for an institution to have its students become staff members, and vice versa.
RIO recommends keeping different personas as a separate Contact for the following reasons:
- Salesforce maintains a one-to-one Contact-User (Profile, License) relationship.
- User profile determines the permission or access to Salesforce / RIO components.
- Components access / visibility is based on Student/Faculty profile, e.g. Community, Page layout visibility.
- Clean cut process between managing a Staff-User who left, and a Student-User who is still studying
If there is a need to identify a Staff who is also a Student, a lookup field can be created to maintain the relationship.
Contact Record Types can be created, as RIO system has no restriction to it. See details here.
In the event if the institution has a direction to create record types of Student and Alumni, the following should be considered.
- A Contact record doesn't necessarily generalise as a Student or Alumni record type, as there are returning students who are also alumni from previous Program Enrollments.
RIO recommends to track a Student record type and identify Alumni through a flag.